How It Works
First, you must be an active Member of the WMS. Then you process the $225 FAWM Candidacy Fee. Once you're a candidate, you can begin claiming and accumulating credits.
If you are not a WMS member, and received FAWM information at an eligible event , then you can receive credit for that event by joining the WMS and applying to the Academy within 120 days of the event. To complete the program and become a Fellow in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine, a candidate must accumulate a minimum number of credits as described in the following table.
||Required credits for candidates attending 1 WMS conference
|| Required credits for candidates attending 2+ WMS conferences
| Core Credits
| Elective Credits
| Experience Credits
Core and elective credits must come from approved, credit-scored activities. Candidates must complete a minimum of 45 to a maximum of 70 credits from the list of "core" topics and earn a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 15 credits from the "elective" topics per the above table.
Additionally, each candidate must document between 20 and 40 experience credits in the Experience Report. The report breaks experience into the following categories:
1. Professional Certification, Education, and Training
2. Military Training
3. Wilderness Medicine Related Publishing and Research
4. Wilderness Medicine Related Editorial Responsibilities
5. Wilderness Medicine Related Teaching and Mentoring
6. Public Service in Wilderness-centric Medical Services and Deployments
7. Wilderness Medicine Related Awards
8. Service to WMS