The Wilderness Medical Society (WMS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The WMS designates this live activity for a maximum of 17 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Each physician should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
All educational content presented in this activity has been reviewed and validated as appropriate in keeping with sound scientific principles.
After attending this conference, the participants will be able to:
- Learn how to treat common medical problems, traumatic injuries, and medical emergencies encountered in recreational boating, and diving.
- Describe the nature and treatment of illness and injuries from hazardous marine life and seafood toxins.
- Describe the pathophysiology, treatment, and prevention of environmental threats faced by mariners e.g., hypothermia, lightning, cold water immersion, and solar injury.
- Describe the principles of health and safety at sea, and the measures to prevent accidents, illness, injury, and death at sea.
- Review the principles of medically safe scuba diving.
- Review the causes and prevention of drowning, and the treatment of submersion incidents in warm and cold water.
- Review the new emergency communication systems used in search and rescue, medical evacuation, and telemedicine.
- Become familiar with the unique supplies and requirements of a marine medical kit.
- Know the basic principles of travel medicine.
Medical professionals who engage in winter wilderness activities, including mountain travel, who counsel individuals who take part in such activities, or who practice in locations in which they are likely to encounter individuals who have been injured in such activities.
The Academy of Wilderness Medicine has awarded this activity FAWM core and elective credits. Actual credits awarded depend on personal credit needs and history.
The faculty and staff involved with this live activity have signed disclosure statements indicating they have no conflicts of interest or relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest with respect to this course content.